All Collections
Puzzle Overview
How to Delete or Void a Manual Journal Entry
How to Delete or Void a Manual Journal Entry

Puzzle is an immutable ledger as such a given MJE can only be reversed or void one time.

Luke Frye avatar
Written by Luke Frye
Updated over a week ago

You technically can't delete a journal entry in Puzzle. You also can't undo a voided transaction.

1. If you have reversed an MJE either using the automatic reversal feature or with an subsequent reversal and now wish to negate the entries

  • Create offsetting entries for the entries you wish to back out. The easiest way to do this is by duplicating the entries and changing the dates and memo

  • Then change the date and memo:

2. You voided an MJE and now wish to unvoid it.

  • Post a new entry by selecting the entry and clicking duplicate

Q: Am I able to delete or edit a manually created journal entry?

A: No. Puzzle is designed to be fully auditable, which means journal entries can be neither edited nor deleted. That said, there are a couple of mechanisms in place to ensure that all companies can adjust their numbers to correct for errors or omissions.

Mechanism 1:

Companies can use the “Void Journal Entry” functionality to create an entry to offset the original journal entry. This will have the effect of fully negating the original entry through a separate journal entry that will be automatically linked to the original entry.

Follow the below steps to create a reversing entry.

Step 1: Navigate to the original entry

Step 2: Select “Void Entry” either from the journal entries list or by clicking in to an entry

Mechanism 2:

If you need to further modify the journal entry after voiding or reversing an original entry, you will need to create a separate journal entry. Follow the below steps to do so:

Step 1: Create a new entry (you can use the Duplicate function to save time)

Step 2: Be sure to use the memo field to reference the original entry

While the entries will not be systematically linked within Puzzle, this enables an audit-proof mechanism for getting to your corrected numbers

Did this answer your question?